Monday, December 19, 2011

The problem with meatheads

I have a love hate relationship with the CrossFit community.  I hate it because a majority of the board shorts wearing, shaved head, nov8 shoes wearing, kipping pullup sheep shun their nose at you any time you question anything that Greg Glassman has every said because you do not question the messiah of CrossFit.  But I love it because whenever you walk into a CF affiliate, everyone there is there to work.  They are there to work their tails off and lift a bunch of weight a bunch of times.  They are there to jump on boxes, run 1/4 mile sprints, throw around kettlebells like they are nothing, and simply work.  That is an awesome environment to be in.

Similarly, I have a love hate relationship with globo gyms.  You know what they are, YMCA's, JCC's, Urban Active, Gold's, whatever.  I love it because I can go in there, not worry about anyone chastising me because I'm not perfectly paleo or that I forgot my board shorts or that I might not feel like doing pullups for the 18th day in a row.  I hate them though, because they are absolutely filled with meatheads.  And you know exactly what I'm talking about.  The big muscle bound arseholes that congregate in one area and take up all of the weights in that area for at least the whole time you are there.  God forbid you come in and ask them "Are you done doing wrist curls at that squat rack?".  They walk around with whatever free supplement t-shirt or Affliction shirt they could find with their milk gallon jugs of water, gloves, weight belts, and talk about the latest issue of Muscle and Fitness like it was some kind of tabloid. DID I MENTION THEY DON'T F'ING MOVE OUT OF THE WAY?!?!?!  Look, one of the single biggest rules I have in a gym, besides putting you equipment away (which they don't do that either), is using the right weight for whatever you need to be doing.  I swear if I see another sleeveless DB on the squat rack doing wrist/arm curls, I'm going to throw my 2 pood kettlebell up his flipping anus.

JEEZ!!!!!  Sorry for the rant, just had to get that off of my chest.

No comments:

Post a Comment