Sunday, November 27, 2011

A brief note on being honest with yourself

My regular day job is being a Health Educator.  Most of my day consists of talking to people who are obese, very deconditioned, stressed, and/or eat like crap.  More often then not when I ask people what they eat, I get something along the lines of "oh I eat a lot of salads", or "I don't really eat any junk food", or "I exercise all day long with my job".  Most of those that say these things have a BMI of 35 or above, have high blood pressure, high cholesterol, high blood glucose.  These people would not have all of these issues with their health if they really did eat right and exercise regularly.

This entry is not going to be a big one.  All I want to say today is that you need honest with yourself.  If you are exhibiting any or all of these health problems and morbidities, you need to look at yourself and realize what you are doing wrong.  If you are 30+ pounds overweight and suffer from high blood pressure, you desperately need diet modification and more exercise.  Walking at work and going from regular Coke to Diet Coke isn't going to make those problems go away.  Monitoring your sodium intake and getting a minimum of 30 minutes of structured exercise with a sustained elevated heart rate is what you need.

Be honest with yourself and your situation.  Please don't lie to yourself.  Drop your ego, seek help from those that are experts at weight loss, and do something about it.  There are a lot of people that would love to help you.  You just have to ask and realize that you can do something to help your situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment