Saturday, August 11, 2012

Not exactly the year I'd hoped

Back at the beginning of the year I had posted several goals regarding things I had hoped to accomplish this year.  They were absolutely written with the best intentions.  I never set a goal with the thought of failing at that goal.  I always strive for excellence in the goals I set and I get extremely discouraged when I am unable to reach them.  You may have noticed that I have been absent from the Forever an Athlete scene for quite a while.  Not necessarily by choice, more simply because 2012 has been an extremely challenging year both personally and professionally. 

As I stated, the year started with the absolute best intentions.  I had several goals I wanted to attain as an athlete, as a husband, and as a father.  As an athlete, my shoulder did not heal the way I'd hoped.  Rather, I should say not as quickly as I'd hoped.  I'm still having mobility issues with it and still cannot do anything overhead.  It's extremely frustrating to say the least.  So, in lieu of this, I've been running.  A lot.  I was going to do a 50k trail race but due to some life situations, I'm not quite able to train properly for that.  I am however running the Bourbon Chase in September with my good friend Suzy Goodwin (yes, the same Suzy that can run a marathon in her sleep and still have enough for a CrossFit WOD after).  So that should be fun, humbling, and entertaining all at the same time. 

Away from the athlete side of things, I have had a lot of personal issues happen this year also.  After 14 years of marriage and 2 beautiful children, my wife and I have filed for divorce.  This has been an extremely challenging time in our lives and one that I would not wish on anyone.  My father told me on my wedding day, "It's a whole lot easier to get into marriage than to get out of one".  He's right (he seems to be right a lot more as I get older).  While I still love my wife, we both realize that we simply cannot continue putting so much effort into something that should be a lot easier.  I feel I have failed my children in this regard and I hope that having them see their parents have a peaceful and amicable separation and divorce will teach them that their parents love them more than anything on this planet and that not all relationships end in hatred, contrary to what the TV shows would suggest.  I ask that you respect both of our decisions in this matter and moreso I ask that my wife be given the respect and privacy she deserves throughout this ordeal. I realize posting this online isn't very private, but it's my therapy and I'm sure she understands.  Maybe. 

On the business side, that has taken a backseat these days to getting through the divorce.  I've had to focus on my work as a Health Educator and have taken several side jobs to make it through the divorce.  Voltage Strength has been put on hiatus for now.  But it will be back and better than ever soon.  I've been brainstorming with some very smart people and have some great ideas for the future.  Stay tuned!!!

With that, I sign off for tonight.  I'm going to get back into the writing.  This is very therapeutic for me and I still hope that I can provide some insight, knowledge, and humor to life's little happenings with the emphasis still being on my trying to stay the athlete I think I used to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment