Sunday, February 20, 2011

10 miles...on a treadmil

Yuck!  That's all I have to say about that.  I was fully planning on hitting part of the route for the marathon today for my run.  That's my plan for every Sunday because I think it would be a great idea to get as used to the route of the run as much as I possibly can.  Today it wasn't meant to be because it started raining for a little bit this morning and my lovely wife had an engagement in the afternoon which made my outside run impossible.  So, there was a treadmill at the gym with my name and 10 miles written all over it. 

I made the first 6 miles easy.  In fact it was so easy that I thought I might be able to go ahead to do 12.  Then I got to 8 and I had just about enough of that stupid treadmill.  Fortunately I had Talladega Nights on the CardioTheater in front of me which made things a little easier.  I wasn't trying to break any speed records today.  I ran the 10 miles in 1:25, which is about an 8:30/mile pace.  My goal for the marathon is 8:00/mile.

You can't go out and speed train every run you do.  You're going to wear yourself down and burn yourself out.  I had a speed day a couple of days ago when I did four 1-mile sprints.  That was great.  This week I'm scheduled for four 2-mile sprints.  That one might not be so great.  We'll see. 

Next week is the first leg of the Louisville Triple Crown.  It's the 5k portion and my wife is participating.  She has been training well and is currently battling a bit of a neck injury so I'm hoping she will be OK.  Good luck to all participants on that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment